oh my god it’s at LONG LAST over.
But first, the Highlights!
- Your TOI leader was Adam Larsson, who logged 24:27
- This was a game with an overarching failure of both teams’ 5-on-5 play to generate much, and as such they both resorted to making the man-advantage their personal playgrounds. The Islanders PK has been legendarily bad this year, but Seattle has had long fits and starts with their special teams all year, and it only seemed fitting for the Kraken to go along with the Isle to play a deeply sloppy game when it came to the penalty box. Only the Islanders blinked in this share; The Kraken killed 3 of New York’s 5 power plays, whereas Seattle went 3/4 on the man-advantage. Can’t argue with those results!
- …But you can still argue with the way we got to that second point, in that the Kraken also surrendered the only even-strength goal due to some truly awful transition defense that allowed Casey Cizikas and Mat Barzal to enter their end effectively unimpeded. Their work in this phase of the game still needs to be retooled a bit.
- No shots in overtime and frankly I don’t think they would’ve earned them anyway.
- Grubauer had an .870 SV% on a night where he actually did receive half-decent goal support for once…it’s just a pity he didn’t receive any help from his penalty killers.
- EIGHT ROUNDS OF SHOOTOUT MADNESS. Grubauer was honestly exceptional when called for it in the skillz competition.
- Hilariously, the Kraken are still not entirely out of it, but they’re gonna need Wennberg and Beniers to play a lot more like they have tonight in order to get there.
- That said, a well deserved day off is necessary, especially given who they face this weekend. Rest well, Seattle. A battle in the PNW begins again on Saturday.
- Lmao the Kraken are only 2 points out from being tied with Anaheim. This league’s point system is a hoot.
- On a lighter note, It was super cool to see Grubauer have a special mask for Hockey Fights Cancer Night and the Kraken to let a survivor sing the anthem. It’s a pity some low-watt bulbs killed the special jersey promotions (until probably next year when the NHL fully walks that nonsense back) and now the
Lets give a hand to…
- The Kraken Power Play! The Islanders PK isn’t great, but Seattle didn’t just get first chance opportunities, they made big plays in tight to Varlamov and it paid off big time.
- Alex Wennberg! Another big goal for him! Let’s hope this keeps things steady!
- Kailer Yamamoto! Two points, including the game-tying goal, and iced the shootout winner with authority. A well-deserved first star.
- Matty Beniers! Who wired an absolute missile past Varlamov to get the Kraken on the board. This is the kind of thing he should be focusing on if they’re down; making a difference with that crazy shot of his.
The NaturalStatTrick.com Charts!
Please figure out your net-front defense David I’m f#!king begging you dude PLEASE-
The Kraken get a day off for travel, and then face the Vancouver Canucks at Rogers Place in BC at 7pm PT on Saturday night. We’ll see you there.
And always remember, even if this team is driving you nuts.
Keep Calm, and Post Zoidberg When We Win.