It took me a couple of minutes of staring at an empty WordPress document figuring out what to say, but I’ll start with this.
This is the only time you get to do this, Kraken.
If you can stand it, the Highlights
I really do not advise watching this, it will just make you mad.
- Your TOI leader tonight was Vince Dunn with 24:20 logged.
- Philipp Grubauer had a rough night in net. In fairness, the team in front of him selectively decided to have defensive awareness, so I struggle to think that even prime Hasek could make saves knowing some of the chances he had to stop would have nearly no help.
- Now that I am done with the official stuff…that effort was ASS, Seattle. I’m not even bothering trying to keep it family friendly; this was a hogshit effort on nearly every aspect of the game. A truly struggling team in the Flames got a major bump from a Kraken team that decided that basic passing was optional, puck awareness was nearly non-existent, and their goalie was hung out to dry so many times especially down the stretch that it beggared belief. The Kraken could only get TWENTY SHOTS ON GOAL against a team that looked dead to the entire sport and even if they had managed to keep the battle going through the third period, the frankly unacceptable puck security would’ve done them in anyway. Just atrocious.
- Really, it started back with Calgary’s power play tally to end the 2nd period; the building was ready to blow that substantial roof off of Climate Pledge for killing two penalties in a row, and then letting that Hanifin shot go in was just the air being let out of the tires.
- Matty Beniers had an assist and we are once again back to concerned about Matty; he was getting demolished at even strength. This needs fixing. Now. Demote ’em, Revamp his line, Sit ’em if you gotta…do what you need to because otherwise this player is generally conducive to your overall success and he cannot be struggling like this. He simply cannot.
- Really I could just point down to the NaturalStatTrick heat map for how this ended up the way it did. The defense around their goaltender completely collapsed in on itself. Too much puckwatching, Too passive in their own end, far too many players looking the wrong way…it was a night to get bag skated in practice tomorrow.
- Another good opening period demolished by a putrid second period. Another lead evaporated. Another EMPTY NET GOAL AGAINST. DAVE, MAKE CHANGES BEFORE YOU GO PLAY THE YOTES; THAT TEAM IS NOT A COMPLETE NIGHTMARE ANYMORE.
- This cannot happen again; the Flames had a good night and Dan Vladar played out of his mind, but the Kraken beat themselves much more than the Flames did. These are the kinds of two points you need to get. This will not happen again.
Were there any Positives?
Yeah, a couple. Which makes this so much more aggravating.
- Yanni Gourde had two major assists tonight.
- The Penalty Kill wasn’t awful it was just that 2nd period goal, which happened to break the camel’s back.
- Ollie Bjorkstrand continues a point streak.
- We aren’t Sharks Fans! Two 10 spots consecutively. Jesus christ, San Jose fans are ironclad if they keep showing up to that game.
The NaturalStatTrick.com Charts
A low event game where the defense let the team down. Just infuriating.
The Kraken will return to Climate Pledge soon, but not right now; as they now make their way to Arizona to face the Coyotes on Tuesday at Mullett Arena in Tempe. That game drops the puck at 6pm PT.
Please DO NOT DO THAT AGAIN, KRAKEN.
and Keep Calm, and Post Zoidberg When We Win