The Preseason’s almost done and we say goodbye to Abbotsford! For Now, anyway!
But First, the Highlights!:
Okay so! There was not a TV broadcast of this game and therefor our usual methods are not going to work, so instead, we’ll be using links to Twitter videos.
- Unfortunately due to the game being played in Abbotsford, your TOI leader was not logged tonight.
- The Canucks and Kraken’s inciting incident towards rivalry came last year when Tyler Myers threw a hellacious hit on Matty Beniers, and tonight Myers received a receipt from John Hayden in a big dust-up early in the game, with both sides having to get ripped apart. As fair as I would like to call myself…couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.
- The only goal scored by the Canucks tonight was scored by, as fate almost dictates at this point, by Carson Soucy. He also got into it with Will Borgen to the point that both of them had to be ripped apart by the linesmen. I guess there’s no love lost between them.
- Joey Daccord and Chris Driedger spent time in net tonight and both played a strong game. Daccord finished two periods with a .938 SV% and frankly, Daccord played his ass off; especially in the 2nd where the Kraken’s play sort of deteriorated. Driedger meanwhile played quite well in his limited time in net. Frankly…I think Daccord’s still my backup for right now. Though, given the kinds of saves he made tonight and over preseason, I’m starting to wonder if he’s not worth trying for more than just “backup”. Hey, it’s still preseason, we’ll see how he plays in the Regular Season.
- Linus Karlsson of Vancouver got into it in the final 30 seconds of the game with the refs and somebody…not quite sure what it was about, but he seemed mighty steamed.
- Kailer Yamamoto had a gaggle of young fans in Abbotsford last night who were on camera at least once during the broadcast and chanting for him (and for more of him) whenever they could. At first, we at DJLR thought that these kids were family members or something along those lines but as it turns out it’s much, much more wholesome: they’re fans of his because he’s short, and wanted to show up to support him. That’s just awesome. We salute you, Yamamoto Crew. May he bring you all the joy you brought us.
Let’s Give A Hand To!:
- Eeli Tolvanen!: First Star of the game after banging home a great rebound from a Cale Fleury cannonshot, and at not a moment too soon!
- Andrew Poturalski!: Poturalski got a fantastic Filip Hronek blind pass and was as patient as they come in getting Casey DeSmith down and out in order to get the opening goal for the Kraken. Hronek may yet be the most useful player on the Kraken for any and all Vancouver games if things continue as they are!
- Joey Daccord!: Sure, he let up a goal, but his incredible work over the 2nd period was arguably the single biggest reason Seattle won this game.
- Kailer Yamamoto!: For having the best fans north of the border.
No Charts tonight!
Imagine if you will, a game where the Kraken weren’t getting many shots but a lot of them were quality.
The Kraken have but one final game in preseason this Friday; one final game against the Oilers before the NHL regular season begins. That game will be on KONG in the Washington area, and the puck will be dropped at 6pm PST.
We will see you there! Thank you for reading, and always remember…
Keep Calm, and Post Zoidberg When We Win