Not even kidding, regardless of the results, this was the best goddamn game of the year.
But first, the Highlights!
- Your TOI leader was Vince Dunn, who played 25:16
- I am so proud of the Kraken for this game, even if they couldn’t get a point out of it. They took the best team in the league to the limit for 60 minutes and didn’t let up right until the very endest of ends. It was a heavyweight fight from bell to bell to bell. It was old time hockey in all the best ways: full of high scoring back and forth mania, excellent individual plays by the goalies, unbelievable scoring prowess, and a big ol’ dust up to finish it off. It’s just a shame they couldn’t close it out.
- Neither goaltender would like to repeat this kind of game, as both finished under .900 in SV%. It’s just a total pity that Grubert couldn’t seal it.
- Actually, in these kind of games, I think the smartest thing to do is just keep scoring. We have plenty knowledge on why that’s a good idea from The LA Game That Got Out Of Hand. The Kraken never had a two goal lead all game and it cost them badly. In games like these it is important to stop caring about defense and instead about getting the next goal.
- Look I like the idea of an Ice Blue jersey, but I think we can all agree at this point that the Reverse Retro sweaters are deeply haunted so if they’re gonna do this again they desperately need to just make a third jersey with the anchor as the front patch and call it a day.
- A lot of our myriad SBNation staff were watching this game and came to the conclusion that this should be a Stanley Cup final. I personally will die if that ever comes to pass, RIP me, but I absolutely see where they’re coming from; for whatever reason Seattle and Boston match up incredibly and if you had a Cup final like this...the NHL would have an unbelievable ratings boost at bare minimum, and an instant classic. This was playoff hockey in February.
- Take heart: The Kraken finish their season series 1-1 against the best team in the league that somehow got better over the last day. It was way closer than it had any right to be on paper. There’s something truly special lurking under the surface of these Squids that one or two major acquisitions could bring out.
- Still gotta start winning some games or the Kraken are gonna be gunning against the Flames for a wildcard spot. Can’t have that.
- Keep Calm, and Post Zoidberg When We Win.
Behold, this majestic game’s charts via NaturalStatTrick.com
The Kraken will get another chance at beating an Atlantic team that’s been active on the Trade market on Sunday night, as they’ll be hosting the Leafs at 4pm PT.
We’ll see you there.