Hello there! The Seattle Kraken have been in the news a few times this week, and for good reasons too! Check out where they rank in the NHL as far as offseason additions go, plus updates on the new guys & the youngsters, along with the latest news and notes from around the NHL for the week of August 5th, 2022.
- The Kraken have added the second-most net value in the league this offseason, headlined by Oliver Bjorkstrand and André Burakovsky, according to Dom Luszczyszyn’s model [The Athletic]
- New Kraken forward Oliver Bjorkstrand talks about the Pacific Northwest, where the Kraken are heading, and what it’s like getting traded during your honeymoon [Seattle Sports 710]
- Seattle added former NHLer Jeff Tambellini to the front office as the Director of Player Development, an important role as the prospect pool has exploded after the Kraken’s second entry draft [Seattle Kraken]
- Joey Daccord gave us a peak into his quick footwork in practice
- The Kraken continue to pave the way for NHL clubs to bring hockey to everyone, leading the first initiative aimed at giving financial aid to underrepresented communities that want to get into hockey.
Earlier this year, @TheHockeyNews featured 32 community initiatives led by each NHL Club.— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) August 3, 2022
The @SeattleKraken became the first NHL club to develop a needs-based financial aid system and focused efforts on refugee and immigrant families as well as underrepresented communities. pic.twitter.com/TgZbczrTou
- The Coachella Valley Firebirds continue to tease their new mascot as well as their new arena, which is set to open in December of this year.
- UPDATE: The Firebirds introduced their new mascot, Fuego, 10 minutes after this article was originally published.
Get fired up... please welcome to the team... FUEGO @FuegoFirebirds #IgniteTheSeason #BringTheHeat #Fuego #BuildingAnOasis #OneValley #Firebirds #CoachellaValley #AHL #Hockey pic.twitter.com/IQcgfqUXHP— Coachella Valley Firebirds (@Firebirds) August 4, 2022
- The rosters for the upcoming IIHF World Juniors have been announced, and neither Matty Beniers nor Shane Wright will take part in the tournament [IIHF]
Around the NHL
- John Klingberg signed a one-year, $7 million deal with the Anaheim Ducks, per Kevin Weekes and Socrates
**Breaking News**— Kevin Weekes (@KevinWeekes) July 29, 2022
I’m told the @AnaheimDucks are closing in on a 1Yr Contract in neighborhood of 7M for UFA D John Klingberg formerly of @DallasStars .
@espn @NHLNetwork @NHL #HockeyTwitter pic.twitter.com/bzzf9G6YIn
- The Devils avoided arbitration at the last minute with forward Jesper Bratt, agreeing to terms on a one-year, $5.45 million deal to stay in New Jersey [AATJ]
- The Calgary Flames managed to keep one of their goal-scorers for a change, re-signing Andrew Mangiapane to a three-year deal [M&G]
- Nazem Kadri technically remains a free agent, but rumors are heating up that he could be joining the New York Islanders [LHH]